Monday, August 5, 2013

Once a Player, Always a Player

... a Peninsula Player that is. I've just come from a gala to support Peninsula Players and to thank the donors that make each season a possibility. I'm full of so much love for this community. I know how cheesy that sounds, but it is true. I'll try with words to express what this community is and what it means to me, but until you are here experiencing it for yourself, I'm afraid words just don't do it justice.

Throughout the week, a few of our actors and our music director have been busily putting together and rehearsing a performance for the gala not to mention the administrative staff who put together every detail of this event from invitations to menu selection to thank you's at the end. The grounds have been a buzz of excitement in preparation for this event. Since Sunday in the Park with George is the current show playing, the performers had an idea to represent some of Sondheim's greatest works detailing four Sondheim-isms: Content Dictates Form, Less is More, God is in the Details and finally, All in the Service of Clarity. The singers used the words of Little Red in 'I Know Things Now' from Into the Woods to meld together the web of songs chosen. I love most all things Sondheim, but I was especially taken with the final song of the evening pulling all the 'isms' together and that spoke to me as a young artist carving out my path.

'Feel the flow,
Hear what's happening:
We're what's happening.
Don't you know?
We're the movers and we're the shapers.
We're the names in tomorrow's papers.
Up to us now to show 'em...

'It's our time, breathe it in:
Worlds to change and worlds to win.
Our turn coming through,
Me and you, pal,
Me and you!'

-Our Time, Merrily We Roll Along

Now this type of event can be the type that actors hate to attend. You have to schmooze and impress and say the right things and be 'on' the entire night. I have to say, after going to the Peninsula Players gala, I didn't feel any of those things. All the donors I met were so interested in the arts and had such fascinating back stories about how they were introduced to the Players community and why they continue to support year after year. I think it has so much to do with what it means to be a Peninsula Player. The donors and board members see how it works. We- and when I say we, I mean every single person on our campus: interns, staff, actors, families visiting from out of town or living on campus as well- eat together, live together, work together both on stage and off, play together. Over the season, we develop such a team/family rapport and this happens no matter what time you arrive here. I arrived mid-way through the season and within the first couple of days, I felt welcomed and at home. This is the place where actors and staff bring their families here to stay for a week or two or the entire summer. It is a collaborative environment where everyone's voice is important even if the contribution or suggestion is not the ultimate choice in the group. This is the place that supports current and former players during times of need and loss. This is the place where people like our Artistic Director, Greg Vinkler, choose to stay for TWENTY FIVE years.


I'm proud to be a Player and will always be. 

2013 Peninsula Players Company

No comments:

Post a Comment