Friday, July 5, 2013

We made it

My roommate and I made the trek up to Peninsula Players in Door County Wisconsin together this past Wendesday. My car was packed to the brim with all of our luggage and shoes and toiletries and bikes and... well you get the picture.

The lobby of my apartment

We had a good drive up despite the rain. The first day here was mostly a get-settled-and-oriented-to- your-surroundings type of day. We met a lot of company members and interns at dinner, then saw Once a Ponzi Time, the current show of the season on its opening night- a hilarious little farce written by a company member.

Thursday, we started the day off by making a trip to the Target that is 40 minutes away to pick up those pesky little toiletries we each forgot and some necessary room snacky-type things. Then it was off to our first rehearsal which consisted of a meet and greet, designer presentations and a read through of our little show, Sunday in the Park with George. I'm so humbled by the 'Chicago Greats' I get to work with this summer. Holy cow!

I'm going to be leading a pretty tough life these next couple months. I can see the water from my window and hear it as I go to sleep. The room I'm in is an attic/loft type space that is ginormous. We could throw a little dance party up here. It's got a certain charm to it. We live above the Costume Shop and in the same building as the Administrative Offices and Box Office. Here's the outside of our building.

The window above the double doors is ours.

Meals are served in our lodge, but most people eat outside in the Beer Garden at all times of the day, myself included. We have two fabulous cooks who spoil us to bits with the amazing food they make, theme meals for holidays and are making sure my gluten free needs are taken care of. I'm not the only gluten free person here, so that's nice too.

Our main Fourth of July celebration is happening tomorrow night, but yesterday, one of the company members read the Declaration of Independence aloud. We could hear the creaking of the pine trees as he read. I've never witnessed a reading of the document that gives us Americans the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It is so well written. Even when studying American history in school, I never read the entire thing- which I'm not sure if it is because I cliff-noted it or we just only focused on the main portion. With the Fourth of July being my favorite holiday, this will certainly be one I will always remember. And it is a week long celebration here with fireworks at different little towns along the peninsula each night!

Today was our first music rehearsal. We have been eagerly anticipating this first music read through as it sets the tone for the whole process of making this show come alive. I got goosebumps as we ran the Act I finale. I love many a Sondheim show, but this music certainly has some of his richest harmonies and yet at the same time remains so simple in its structure. 

It is hard to put this place into words and pictures. I've tried taking pictures of the grounds at all times during the day and night, but the pictures just don't do it justice. Since we are a repertory company (meaning one show performs while the next one rehearses), we have a lot of time in the evenings to explore and have fun and eventually learn music and lines. I will leave you with the view from my room. Until next time!

My view of the Beer Garden with the bay behind it

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you to have this opportunity, and I look forward to reading all your updates!

    ReplyDelete